TORQUE TUBE

Inspecting the torque tube packing gland, I found the scroll back oil grooves had completely worn away in one area, the gland was replaced with a modern lipseal gland.

PACKING GLAND

I am fitting a new silent block bearing to the torque tube anchor, the new one is 0.005 inch larger than the anchor.  I reduced that to 2 thou to give a good press fit.  What I call a press or interference fit Rolls Royce call a “diametral nip”.  Interesting.

be457f2829a68604d0f9651c13ae9a63

I had a lot of trouble undoing the torque tube anchor ball adjusting nut.  The  problem seemed to be rock hard 80 year old grease in the threads.  Having cleaned them out with a sharp o ring removing tool I can now tighten the nut up properly.  When the slack had been eliminated, movement side to side was very tight. Having checked there was enough metal left I assembled the ball joint with some fine grinding paste and ground the three bearing surfaces back to a spherical shape.

This image has an empty alt attribute; its file name is torque-tube-anchor.jpg

Inspecting what I thought was my only pinion bearing carrier it became clear that the outer race on the inside bearing had been rotating. It had worn a groove 0.021 in. deep and must have overheated the bearing.

Luckily what I thought was our only carrier turns out to be a spare one! So I also have a servicable one, it does mean the pair of thrust bearings will need a very careful inspection.

I had obtained a new 1/2in BSF nut for the pinion shaft, it would not go on. Having had the thread size confirmed I ordered a set of die nuts. with a bit of work with a thread file I got the die nut started and it is all OK now. I assume it was accumulated dried on oil and grease that was the problem.