Having driven fairly often in the dark it soon became apparent that semaphore signalling was not very safe. For safety I have fitted flashing indicators front and rear. The front lenses are from a motorcycle and the rear are lorry bed side repeaters. They have 10 watt quartz halogen bulbs that are very good at night and reasonable by day. To satisfy the MOT I have installed LED repeaters on the dashboard. Ian Bancroft was not amused.
The rear lights are Wingard 1055 tail lights as used on early Lotus Sevens. Available from the USA, simplesevens.org This is a Lotus Seven site.
For marine applications I have made the cockpit repeaters port and starboard, red and green.
Click on the thumbnail to see the diagram of the board I have fitted behind the dashboard on BBM. Having changed to electronic flasher units I had to fit a suppressed HT lead to stop interference. This enables me to switch back to semaphore indication if required.
Switching to electronic flasher relays (with click) has improved the flash rate and start up. I did have to replace the copper cored HT lead with a carbon cored one to remove electrical interference. I went back to the 60’s for the method of fitting carbon leads to acorns.
To match the indicators I have fitted left and right hand door mirrors. Absolutely essential for continental driving.
NEW FRONT SHOCKS
Seeing an advertisement for a double front shock absorber I thought it would be good fitted to the Ruby. It is a well made item and no doubt has racing history. The double shock absorber uses two pivot points instead of one, allowing each side to operate independently, transforming the handling.
Having fitted it before the Yorkshire Experience we noticed a definite improvement in cornering and control of front end bounce. I now set the bolts to 20 ft lbs torque. This with a well adjusted radius arm anchorage really keeps the suspension under control. For a ruby that is.
Not BBM69 but an interesting mod.
Not a modification on BBM (it was fitted on manufacture) but this mod was retro fitted to radiators as an upgrade post 1938. The idea was to limit water loss through the overflow pipe. It also allowed the engine to run slightly hotter.
A brand new Pheonix crankshaft. We have had two original cranks go on us. One really parted and came out of the side of the crankcase. The other we found cracked on an engine re build.
Dianne was lucky on two birthdays to have a shiny new crankshaft just what she had always wanted.
RUBBER SEAL IN THE PETROL PUMP
I found a petrol pump that had a rubber seal in the hole the operating shaft comes through. I was able to transfer it into an original pump base. Hopefully this reduces the oil leaking out of the breather/drain hole.
OIL BREATHER PIPE
On the way up to Lincoln, June 2019. we had a moving average of 33 mph, sat nav information. This fast (for us) driving meant a lot of oil mist came out of the tappet cover. In the 60’s, Monty, Dianne’s dad, always had on oil breather pipe fitted so I have decided to try one. This is an experiment at the moment, if it proves useful through the year I will tidy up the fitting.