When we inherited BBM69 we also inherited all sorts of old, rusty, dirty odds and ends. among these were five back plates and all sorts of fittings to go with them. We also have several hubs, a front axle and a complete back axle, torque tube and prop shaft. We have a two bearing engine with a pheonix crank in the car and another, the same, being refurbished by Ian Bancroft. a third two bearing engine was donated to the Lincs Group trials car we built. Under the bench is still a three bearing engine in bits! We have now aquired two front seats as well”
As we are on lockdown due to the virus, covid19, I have started cleaning, painting and generally sorting out what has been sat around in boxes for years. I am aiming to have four fully servicable backplates, complete with brake shoes, that can just replace ones on the car when required. The removed backplates can then be serviced off the car. I am also aiming to end up with two front hubs and two rear hubs fully serviced ready to fit if needed.
A before and after shot of the back plates, some of the plungers in both the brake lever and brake cam fittings were seized in place. soaked in paraffin and gently heated to free up. I have enough servicable parts to assemble four complete back plates with all components serviced, painted and lubricated. Ready to fit to the car.
There are three different break shoe springs used on Austin Sevens over the years. So be careful about ordering.
The finished result.
Hubs and stub axles.
Four of the hubs waiting for new bearings. red ring round grease hole is to show that sealed for life bearings are fitted.
Having decided to fit sealed bearings to the hubs I took David Cochrane’s advice to fit felt seals, not nitrile. Unlike lip seals felt seals require relative little shaft pressure to function effectively. Wool felt seals are highly effective as filters in removing particles when saturated in lubricants, in this case EP140 oil, very small particles are trapped and retained.
Gear box tops.
Rear window winder mechanisms. Two are from a Ruby, no idea what the other one fits.
Three more boxes of bits to sort and re-furbish.
A coutionary tale, this ball end of a front brake lever is almost worn through. No fun if that had parted.
An interesting repair to a broken stud mount on a nose piece.